Olive oil is one of the most popularly used oils for skin and hair. The use of olive oil for skin is growing rapidly. It is that one oil that you have in your home. So, it is also widely popular due to it being a homemade remedy. But there has been a lot of speculation on olive oil clogging pores. It is true however the question is olive oil comedogenic is still is not answered.
Olive oil isn't purely comedogenic so it is moderately comedogenic or rating 2 comedogenic. So, there are good chances that it can clog pores and cause a breakout. Being moderately comedogenic creates a question that how can it be less reactive. So, to answer that we will talk briefly about how comedogenic rating works and how can it be used safely.
To not make you more curious and save you your time also. Let's dive to know all the details to make it safe for you to use olive oil.
There are 5 ratings of comedogenic. These are given based on the safety of the product. The safer the product it the less the number will be and vice versa. So, to make it clearer we will discuss in detail the numbers.
· 0: 0 rating of comedogenic will cause no acne or breakouts. The products with a 0 comedogenic rating are the safest and have 0% chances of clogging pores.
· 1: the 1 rating of comedogenic is also considered to be safe. The risk of breakout is very little. There are very few chances of it clogging pores. But still, there is a very little chance
· 2: the 2 ratings of comedogenic are said to be a moderate level of comedogenic. Olive oil also falls into this category and is considered moderately comedogenic. It can cause breakouts but the chances are not very high on this.
· 3: in rating 3 of comedogenic there is a very good chance of breaking out. It can clog pores and cause acne. It is less than extreme but more than moderate.
· 4: as we get closer to the final numbers, the chances are also getting more. The 4 ratings of comedogenic can cause breakouts and clog pores easily. There is a very high chance that after using products of 4 ratings you will get acne.
· 5: so, as it is the last and most extreme level of rating. It is almost certain that it will cause breakouts. The products with 5 ratings are the most dangerous ones.
However, two more conditions can affect the comedogenic rating. The first one is the quantity being used. If you are using olive oil with other products or mixing olive oil very little as compared to other products. The chances become very less.
On the other hand, it also depends on the person. Different people have different skin types. Some can easily breakout on rating 3 and some don’t even get affected by rating 4.
Comedogenic rating of olive oil:
The comedogenic rating of olive oil is 2. which makes it moderately comedogenic. It isn't very dangerous but at the same time, it is not very safe to use also. There are very few chances of it clogging your pores and causing breakouts. So, there is a pretty good chance that you will get away with it.
So, which means it is not very dangerous to use olive oil or it isn't the worst thing you can use. However, some methods can also decrease the chances even more.
How to safely use olive oil:
Despite being at rating 2 olive oil can still cause breakouts. Some people just want to make sure before trying it because they can have more acne-prone skin. So, to decrease the chances of breakouts, even more, is using or mixing it with another product.
There has been a concentration percentage given of 25% which makes it very less dangerous. So, use it with mineral oil or any other oil to make its concentration at 25%.
You cannot make it noncomedogenic but you can make it safer. Olive oil shouldn’t be avoided because it is a very good option to use in your diet as well as hair and skin.
It is rich in antioxidants and vitamin E. it will not only make you and your skin healthier but will also fight to prevent serious diseases.
Many other oils are non-comedogenic as well as less than olive oils.
· Safflower oil: 0 rating
· Argan oil: 0 rating
· Hemp seed oil: 0 rating
· Sunflower oil: 0 rating
· Abyssinian seed oil: 0 rating
These are some of the options that have a 0 comedogenic rating. They are safer to use than olive oil and are also very beneficial at the same time.
Q: What is the comedogenic rating
Ans: the comedogenic rating will tell you how much a product is likely to cause breakouts. How safe and dangerous it is to use.
Q: What is the best oil to mix with olive oil
Ans: the best oil to mix with olive oil is mineral oil. It will reduce its concentration level and will be less likely to cause breakouts.
Q: what is the best type of olive oil
Ans: the all-natural organic extra virgin olive oil is the most beneficial and best type of olive oil to use. It will give you all the benefits you are looking for from olive oil.